Wednesday, December 14, 2011

From Turntables to the Bike--I like my beats funky


I don't lie when I say I "spin".
From living in Baltimore and following my passion for music by DJing in bars in Federal Hill to the quaint state of Connecticut creating a workout on bike, spinning is and has always been a part of my life.

Its funny to look back at some parts of our life and think of what we did and sometimes how we even survived. I consider myself a pretty lucky person, however I also consider myself challenged to create my own destiny.

A big part of my 'non-blogging' phase was when I was rehabbing my left knee from an injury I sustained when I was 16. I walked away, harmed; but still had a leg.

At the ripe age of 25, :) arthritis set in and created agony, frustration, and a fierce ambition to not let this stop me.

I hate to admit, but I sometimes feel like I quit. I stopped Crossfit, intense workouts, took the Docs orders to 'workout less.' If any of you know me at all, quitting isn't in my dictionary. I quickly looked for another way out. After being told that running wasn't in my future, I had to find another way to get back in my zone. Swimming ruined my hair color, (regardless of it being blonde or brown) getting on the eliptical trainer with a TV in front of me gave me goosebumps, biking...Ding Ding.

I traveled back to my roots (PSU) and spoke to former Athletic Trainers, doctors and even treked up to UCONN to visit the all powerful man of many words, Dr. Craig Denegar. I knew we would get along when the first line he told us in Therapeautic Modalities class was "the only place ice belongs is in the bottom of a burbon glass." Dr. D told me to get on the bike, start rehabbing and get stronger. Be smart, stay strong, carry on.

I was approached by a spinning studio looking to hire new coaches for their classes. I applied by bringing my ipod, energy and enthusiasm. I hadn't been on a bike since my last triathlon. I was scared and nervous, but I started my performance and began to W.O.W. the audience. I was in, I was hooked.

A way to get your sweat on, increase your aerobic capacity, enhance your athletic performance, burn fat, and stay injury free? Sign me up. I not only signed up once, but now for 7 classes per week. Go hard or go home right?

Two out of my 7 classes consist of a high school varsity girls lacrosse team. Talk about energia! I first walk around with a basket for all cell phones. None allowed during class. :)
I leave amazed every class about the intensity, strength, and courage these girls bring with them. It is empowering to know that they are doing the best things for their body, and as a woman its something I can be proud to be a part of.

The other 5 classes during my week are 6 and am. That means, hours preparing playlists the week before, up at 5, breakfast (aka fuel) packing multiple change of clothes, and onward for my day. I have everyone from experienced riders to first time participants, each creating their own destiny. Making sure the class is right for everyone can be challenging, but the first step that is taken by all is walking into the room. Everyone is there for one purpose, a percentage of hard work and dedication to make themselves healthier and stronger.

Its about your party that you create on the bike. Find your motives and rock out to your beat. I'm just there to motivate, its up to you to work!

THATS what I call a cool job.

2 comments:

  1. Everyday your shufflin' kara ehh ! love this, fair play to you. In all my athletics years, i have yet to take a spin classs. Dont know why I'm so damn scared of it ! Love your motivation & dedication. Continue X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I have a question about your blog, could you email me?
    David

    ReplyDelete