Monday, June 14, 2010

Emotional hijack


"Laughter, in particular, demonstrates the power of open loop in operation--and therefore the contagious nature of all emotion. Hearing laughter, we automatically smile or laugh too, creating a spontaneous chain reaction that sweeps through a group. Glee spreads so readily because our brain includes open-loop circuits, designed specifically for detecting smiles and laughter that make us laugh in response. The result is a positive emotional hijack."--Primal Leadership by Daniel Goleman

This past week I have had the opportunity to not only meet wonderful people, but to also share the same emotional connection, passion, and intelligence with adults and kids. Needless to say...its been a great week. I attended the perform better summit in Providence, RI and had the opportunity to listen and connect with the greatest leaders of the fitness industry. Not only was it inspiring, the drive and passion that surrounded the lecture rooms was something I've never experienced.

I have been working...usually 7 days a week to not only keep busy, but to also expose myself to what life really means to me. It drives my dad crazy that I sometimes don't sit down. I found my positive emotional hijack many times this week from working with kids. Inspiring, motivating, and installing emotional intelligence in our future leaders through their sport and movement...what job could be better than that?

Through my training and dieting, I have needed an outlet...something to make me smile, laugh, and something to tell me I can do this. To look at the world through a youth's point of view...think how they think...play how they play...can't help but bring a smile to your face right? This weekend I had the opportunity to babysit for a wonderful family. We played blindfold makeover, popcorn on the trampoline, barbershop, and yes, we blew bubbles. I finally took a step back, a deep breath in, taught myself how to smile and laugh in a new light.

My competition: 10 weeks away. I've been training like a maniac...eating like one too. I've found it hard to balance out getting enough protein and carbs for the amount of work I've been doing. This has turned into a full time job. I can't thank my friends enough for supporting me through this as I turn down the happy hours, drinks, even quality phone time because I have been too tired to move my jaw.

I'm still making progress in my strength and physique...this week I'm attending posing classes and will also be fitted for my suit. I will post pictures on Friday of how that all went. Wish me luck!

Until then...find one thing that will result in your emotional hijack: LAUGHTER.



4 comments:

  1. Keep it up, Kara! It will all be worth it in the end. And you will have had an amazingly lean summer figure ;). (I say this to you after I binged all weekend and am paying for it today!!!)

    ReplyDelete