Wednesday, September 8, 2010

On to the next one...


I read a great blog post today by one of the leading strength and conditioning coaches of our current time Eric Cressey, about Accountability. Holding yourself accountable is one thing, but when you have others knowing what your goals are takes you to a higher standard of how you are going to reach your goals.

This is why I created this blog in the first place, for my friends and family to hold me accountable to my goals. Sure, its easy to set deadlines, but if you have someone on the other end watching and encouraging you, it makes you want to achieve that much more. Just when you want to give up...you realize how many people are out there holding you accountable.

I have found myself these past couple weeks questioning a lot about why I did a figure show. It wasn't for the glamor or fame, the pictures, or body. It was a personal drive to see if I could really do what I put my mind to.

The mental game I have been struggling with post show has been the most difficult. I got into a zone of training, eating, drinking (or not) water. Meal prep, cardio on an empty stomach, sacrificing work for training, I was walking a tight rope.
That was easy when it was routine. Its when we are out of our routine and comfort zone that its hard to hold yourself accountable. I've binged on pizza and cake, put back peanut butter and frozen yogurt back into my diet. All too soon...leaving me with regret and an upset stomach!
It took so much to achieve the 'perfect physique,' and now I found myself not holding myself accountable to what is REAL. A real healthy, uniform, and FIT body. A real mental state of desire and passion for my work and life.

In the words of Jay Z--On to the Next One--lets keep it real, real food, real life, real time.

http://www.triandduit.com/cedarbeachtriathlon/Home.html

I am an athlete. I like to compete. I have an athletic body. I love sports. I love the feeling of winning. Not only for me, but when my teams win, I still get a great feeling. *I'll still say this after Penn State plays 'Bama this weekend. GO STATE.

My next goal is to complete a triathlon in under 1 hour 20 minutes. That is 13 minutes off of my last time. Yes, that is a lot of time, I know. This time is different. I'm eating real food, training like an athlete, Swimming and yes...even running.

October 10th. Here we go.


2 comments:

  1. Well said Kara, keep it going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Kara. :) With time the mental part after the figure comp will past as will the binging. Just stay focused on your new goal. I'm excited to hear more about your tri! :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete